Bryan Goes to the Mentawai's

Saturday, October 14, 2006

I'm in SIN and I'm a millionaire!!

OK, so SIN is the airport code for Singapore and I have about 1.3 million Indonesia rupiah...but still: it sounds cool :)

Howdy y'all!! I'm sitting/lounging in a chez lounge at Singapore's Changi International Airport surfing the 'Net on the laptop and killing time until my last flight to Padang in about 3 hours. The flights thus far have been great, due in large part to my new BOSE noise canceling headphones I finally bought after years of ogling them and they are beyond cool...The 12 hour flight to Tokyo felt like about 6 or 7 and I slept for maybe 20 minutes, the rest of the time playing computer games, reading TSJ (the surfer's journal, which is the best surf periodical) and listening to the iPod, which ran for 12 hours straight and I've still got plenty of battery left...you gotta love technology! I love how they show you the route you are flying as we flew over the Bering Sea in Alaska and then tip-toed the Interntaional Date line and Russian border by Siberia en route to Tokyo. The sun was beautiful as we landed about 4:30 in the afternoon. They may call it the land of the rising sun but the setting sun looked gorgeous as it expired into the horizon. The approach had us flying in over the coastline and I saw a ton of waves and surfers on the waves, most likely all on Merrick's they paid about US $1200 for :)

The flight to Singapore was cool because the aircraft had the camera on so you could watch us take off from the nose of the plane and then watch the landscape below until we were over the ocean; being night time didn't help, but watching us land was sweet. Being 6'2 is usually a liability when flying but when the majority of the passengers are about foot shorter than you it's all good :)

Upon arrival here in SIN I checked into the transit hotel for a much needed 4 hour nap and then a quick shower which recharged the bmills batteries big time; not feeling at all tired or exhausted. I then headed up to the food court and ate some amazing chicken rice. Holy crap it was good. My beverage of choice thus far is Qoo; an apple flavored drink made by Coca Cola, which I'm enjoying right now. Here's me looking "Qoo like dat" in the lounge, chillin on my chez...

Posted by Picasa


I'm a huge fan of Katamari Damacy on PS2 and I feel like I'm stuck in the game with all the crazy food products and wacky Asian trinkets found in the Tokyo and Singapore airports; I'm living my dream of being a big sticky ball that rolls up takiyaki, Pocky and sushi whilst the denizens of NRT and SIN airports run for their lives. If you didn't get that, don't worry. Go rent Katamari Damacy for PS2 and you'll understand and thank me later for introducing you to the greatest game of all time.

Well, I better be going now; the laptop is gonna die soon and I should go get some more of that chicken rice :) This is a VERY modern airport, rivaled only by Munich, of the airports I've been to. There are a million shops in here, mostly upscale like Bally or Burberry but plenty of others where you can find great deals on electronics, etc. so I might go browse around a bit before the flight as this is most certainly my last taste of modern, 1st world living for a while and I better get it here cuz Padang isn't exactly one of the world's most wired cities.

Look for another blog post hopefully tomorrow before I leave for Kandui, otherwise it will have to wait until I get to Kandui. I'm 3/4 of the way there... Sayonara!!

2 Comments:

  • Hey Buzz, love your site - looking forward to seeing some great pics from the beach - we miss you! Have fun!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:53 PM  

  • Hey Bryan it's Mike. Finally started checking your blog. Glad to see the flights are going well and soak it all up you lucky @$$!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home