Bryan Goes to the Mentawai's

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Fintastic!!

What better way to really get a feel for different fin designs than taking them out and getting a chance to see what they can do in super clean surf?? It's about as "controlled" environment as you could ask for, without standing in a wave pool in a lab which is considerably less fun. I consider myself somewhat of a scientist this trip as I take with me several different types of fins for my std. shortboard shapes. My boards use a Futures fin system (for those unfamiliar, it's like electrical outlets; only certain fins will fit in certain fin systems, like your hair dryer from Germany won't work with the plugs in Japan...).

For those not familiar with fins, let me assure you that there is WAY more science at work here than you might think. Hydrodynamics is serious stuff and all the principles of aerodynamics are the same: lift, drag, flex, all that stuff is used when creating these fins and while I'm no pro, I CAN feel a difference between regular old standard issue fins and some of the more "hi-tech" fins I'll show you below. In most cases it's not dramatic, but certainly enough to keep you surfing them over the other fins. Problem is, most times around here the conditions are not very optimal with wind, surface texture, smaller wave size, inconsistency and so forth to REALLY get a feel for your fins. But, the cleaner and more consistent Indo waves should provide ample opportunity to see what templates work best.

Anyway, here are the experimental fins I'll be bringing with me...

Futures Vector II 454's

Just won these on eBay for a ridiculous price. They're a pretty big fin so they should give me plenty of drive but the foiled edges should provide a little lift and loosen the board up just a bit. I'm a big fan of the Vector fins from Futures and think this sort of foil/outline will become the defacto thruster fin design now and into the future.

Futures VF 460


I got these as a demo fin from Futures a couple years ago before they hit the market. They're my "daily driver" fins and I love them. Lots of drive, lift and speed through turns. They're not the best fins for being super loose and surfing top to bottom but when you need speed, these fins are the way to go. They're made of this resin-transfer-material or RTM and are insanely light and strong; the blue color looks killer, too. I think these will have a permanent place on the new 6'7" superfly...

Futures VF452 3/2/1


These are the real mad scientist fins. They have little "kinks" in the trailing edge of the fin at different angles that help keep speed through turns and the stubby tip of the fins allow for them to release much easier, or rather, to become disconnected from the water and transition much quicker/easier. The center fin is a hatchet and looks radically different than the side fins. My surfing dosn't really lend itself too well to the forte of these fins but again, I got them for a sweet deal on eBay and decided "why not!?" They're a little small for me but maybe they'll let me try a different style of surfing on the very different style of wave in Indo and I will find a permanent home for them in my thruster rotation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home