Bryan Goes to the Mentawai's

Monday, August 28, 2006

Fortune cookies tell you so much...

As much as I wanted to go on this trip, there was still a bunch of trepidation in my mind. Finances, timing, apprehension about the waves and my ability level or lack thereof, length of the trip, etc. I needed that one final push over the edge to make this trip happen and I finally got it. Here's the setup...

It was Friday 8/25/06 and I was waiting to see Beerfest, which was a damn funny movie, but that's beside the point. I decided to get some Chinese food from this place called Pei Wei next to the theatre before the show started. I finished my meal and cracked open the fortune cookie and much to my surprise, here's what it said:

You will take a pleasant journey to a place far away...

How's that for a kick in the ass? I mean if a fortune cookie tells you to do it, how can you deny that cosmic sign!?

So, as soon as I read the fortune, I sent Anthony Marcotti @ Sariana Koat Mentawai an email on the spot telling him I was a go and to tell me when/where to send the funds. I then put my phone on vibrate (like any responsible movie watcher) and went and watched Beerfest with a big smile on my face before the picture even started. Maybe I should have bought a lottery ticket with my supposed "lucky numbers" also found on the fortune...

And THAT, is the final push I needed to make this trip become a reality :)

3 Comments:

  • Hey, there are some quotations on a QuoteFish somewhere, something about advancing confidently in the direction of one's dreams..; living the life one imagined; being a Columbus...; acting on one's dreams to make them possible. You're livin' it, Kid!! Damn good fortune cookie! Have a wonderful trip, be careful. Look forward to updates. AER

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:42 AM  

  • Score some killer surf bro!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:22 PM  

  • my fortune cookie told me i was going to live at home forever. wanna trade? hey dude can you pack me into your carry on. they will never notice.
    T-rent

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home